Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Possible Rats Nest ?!!

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Possible Rats Nest ?!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Dee

Hogs still visiting my feeding station, but last night I saw what looked like a rat rush past me as it fled from the feeding station to the hedge bottom on the other side of the garden. The little female hog carried on eating unperturbed ….so today I spent the afternoon finding one hole after the other beneath the hedge the thing I took to be a rat fled to. I carefully removed the undergrowth, well more like an overgrowth of ivy, so I can see these seemingly interlinking holes.
    So, the thought of rats upsets me but will rats ( if that’s what I have ) upset the hogs ?

Hi Dee
    Your hogs won’t be at all bothered about the rat.
    To be honest anyone who feeds birds/hogs etc is also almost certainly feeding rats and mice as well. It’s impossible to put down food without anything in the area taking advantage of it.
    I wouldn’t worry about it. Your hog will not be put off

Dee

Thanks Stef,
    You are right, we can’t feed one species without attracting another…….I just got such a shock. Not sure how many of us really like the thought of rats!!!

human or animal – lol
    They are actually quite cute if you get to watch them on camera.
    Time to call on the local puddy

ADV

The local puddy will eat more of the Hedgehog food than the Rats do lol

Dee

I have a posse of local puddys…. yip they do come for the food I put out for the hogs BUT on the up side a couple of them have inspected the suspected rat holes in the overgrown ( now cut back ) boarder , well least they can do is earn there keep!!!!
    The hogs, 3 tonight, keep enjoying the garden…..but I have not seen or heard any youngsters. They are being born elsewhere judging by the intake of my local hog rescue centre.
    Hi Stef…….you are right again, not keen on rats of any kind!!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog