Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Possible sick hog

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Possible sick hog

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi I’m a bit concerned about my visiting hedgehog it started visiting the feeding station two weeks ago I thought a bit early but it has been mild, it now has made a sort of bed in the feeding station in the last two days with not much bedding just the news paper that I put on the floor, I didn’t realise until I went to put new food in today, I also have put a camera in the station and have been watching it through the day as the motion sensor has been going off and on all day , the hedgehog seams to be constantly sneezing or coughing and is moving and has eaten a bit but looks exhausted. I tried to call the rescue centres for advice but no response can you please help me if i should bring it inside and take to the local vet? it is still in the feeding station
    trying to sleep but wakes sneezing and coughing I’m worried it is really sick can someone please advise me what to do don’t want him/her to die.

Thanks Deb

Nic

Hi Deb

Sounds like the hog may need some help. The best thing to do is ring BHPS on 01584 890801 and they should be able to give you the number of other rescues. I would keep trying to get hold of one. They often have more experience of hog problems than vets do.

Meanwhile I would take the hog in and keep it in a box with torn up paper or a small towel and food and water. Please see further information: https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/found-a-hedgehog/
    Hogs are very good at escaping, even if unwell so use a high sided box or pet carrier.

Good luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog