Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Possible sign of bite mark on hedgehog

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Possible sign of bite mark on hedgehog

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi, I don’t usually post on forums but I’m looking for some advice please. I have a small hedgehog (looks to be a youngster as not full size) living under my shed. I’ve observed him for a couple of weeks now and set up a feeding station, which he visits as soon as he leaves his nest and seems to happily munch away at around half the hedgehog food that I put out. (I put about half a handful down). He has been out between 19:30 – 20:30 this past week. Unfortunately this evening I noticed a small patch on his back where the spines have separated and looks to be some bite marks. I didn’t want to disturb him as he seemed happily moving around and walking his route. Should I intervene and pick him up to weigh and inspect him ? Or leave him be ?

Nic

Hi Laura C

If it is a bite, i.e. from a dog or fox, the hog could get an infection, apart from anything else, so it really needs to be checked by a hog carer.

The best thing to do is contact a hog carer /rehabilitator. You can find contact details of your nearest ones by ringing BHPS on 01584 890801. You can still contact them out of hours – volunteers answer the phone. So please don’t delay. If the hog really has been bitten it may need treatment as soon as possible, but the carer/rehabilitator will advise as to the best course of action.

Good luck. I hope the hog is ok. Let us know how you get on.

Hi Nic,

Thank you so much for the advice, the update is; the hedgehog is doing well and is a mum. I Didn’t want to disturb her as other than my initial worries she was feeding and seemed quite spritely. I observed her for a couple of days to get close enough to see her back. It turned out that the patch on her back was where there was a tic but now appears to have dropped off naturally. Her strange behaviour made sense now as on Monday she came out of her nest at 21:30 followed by a well developed hoglet. Mum went straight to the feeding station followed by baby. It was such a joy to observe mum happily feed away , and the youngster was clearly having a good look around, it seemed to be pestered mum for a bit for milk before heading back to the nest. I’ve not seen a live hedgehog in my area for years, I first encountered one in March this year and noticed this one in my garden in June. After I posted I did get a little concerned for the little hedgehog as I found one dead down the road and was worried it was our little resident. Thankfully not and hopefully this is a start to a growing population in the area.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog