Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Post hibernation food

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Post hibernation food

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello. A question for those more experienced. Will hogs recall where food was provided post hibernation? I believe/hope hedgies have hibernated under one of my sheds. Though I’ve not had sight of one this year, before winter I provided food about 10 metres from sheds last year and it was visited regularly.
    I’ve kept putting food in the same place, but no takers yet. Do they generally find provided food wherever ? Natural food seems plentiful while I’ve been gardening – worms and beetles in abundance so they won’t starve !
    Just wondered if it will be confusing if I now provide food elsewhere? Who knows what goes on in the mind of hedgehogs

OOPS – Sorry I meant Pre-Hibernation feeding, not post

Nic

Hi daffydill

Don’t worry too much, I’m sure they’ll find it – they have a very good sense of smell. Although having said that, if I was going to move the feeding area to a new place, I’d probably wait until they had been back for a while – just to make things easy for them. But it’s still fairly early for the hogs to be back. I know some people have had some back, but March is more normal, so any time now – and then it would normally be the males back first. The females sometimes aren’t back for a month or two later.

Fingers crossed they all return safe and well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog