Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Pregnant or hybernating?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Pregnant or hybernating?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I have cameras on a box in garden. A hog began building a nest on sept 1st. Its a substantial nest and hog was big. During hot weather on sept 7th it came out for a breather during day a few times. It hasnt appeared since Oct 1st. My question is, is it pregnant or hybernating? And more to the point if it did give birth around Oct 1st does the mother leave the hogs in first 3 weeks. The maths makes sense but i cant find any info online as to when it is a mother leaves the nest to forage after birth?

Most likely hibernating at this time of year

Regarding pregnancy, most mums stay for the first few days in the nest with the babies and then come out to forage. But not all. This is often during the day as well as evening as they will come out when the babies sleep. They will also sometimes come out and nap away from the babies and then go back
    If there are babies in the nest you may well hear them by now – either rustlings or calls ( like a high pitched peep )

Either way don’t disturb.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog