Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Questions about hoglets in the garden

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Questions about hoglets in the garden

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello, new member here ๐Ÿ™‚

We often see a hedgehog or two in our garden but this year we’ve got hoglets for the first time which is tremendously exciting. We first saw them on Thursday and have confirmed sightings of 3 babies out (no sign of mother with them but we have seen her in previous weeks). They are active and eating, and seem to be a good size. On the first day, they seemed unbothered by our presence and would come quite close to us while foraging whereas yesterday they were visibly nervous if we (carefully) walked past – we assume this is because their eyesight may be improving so they’re more aware of us. Currently, we see them at different times during the day and sometimes they just curl up and have a nap in the courtyard.

I have a couple of questions which I’m hoping someone can answer – just out of curiosity: 1. How long will it be until they become fully nocturnal? And 2. are they likely to still be getting milk from the mother at the moment? I’ve been putting out fresh water but they don’t appear to be drinking from it.

I’m assuming from their size and the fact they are foraging on their own that they are at least 5 weeks old.

Thank you in advance!

Nic

Hi Houndhog

Welcome to the Forum.

It isn’t normal for hoglets to be out during the day. Hoglets are normally nocturnal from birth. They may still be relying on milk from their Mother (difficult to know withoug knowing their age), but it’s possible something has happened to Mother hog, causing them to be out alone and during the day.

You need to contact your nearest carer, explain things more fully to them and take their advice.

You can find contact details of your nearest carers by ringing 01584 890801. I believe that number is covered by volunteers out of office hours and someone should be able to help with that.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Hi Nic, thanks for the reply! I haven’t actually seen the hoglets since posting this yesterday but I’m keeping an eye out for them. The house next door to us is abandoned / garden very overgrown and there are lots of breaks in the fence both sides of us so it may be they’ve moved elsewhere. I know there’s a good hedgehog rescue near us so have got their number to hand if needed. I’ll let you know if there are any updates ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog