Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Rat Poison

Home Forums Champions’ chat Rat Poison

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoNic.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Does anyone know if there has been any research on the subject of rat poison linked to hedgehog decline? I am absolutely certain that this is a major factor in their decreasing numbers. I am aware that in my town people use loose rat poison indiscriminately and irresponsibly and this is surely common nationwide. Rat poison is in fact non-species specific and will kill anything. The badgers and foxes in my area have been eating it regularly (I’ve seen blood and green pellets in their poo). The bait boxes won’t deter small hogs and will also attract shrews, field mice, and voles, as well as rats. Rat Poison should be banned.

Nic

Hi Lore

I don’t know whether anyone has done any research particularly in relation to rat poison, although there is a scheme where dead wildlife can be reported https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/garden-wildlife-health-gwh/

Hedgehogs are protected from certain things by law, including being poisoned. So that anyone using rat poison is obligated by law to ensure that hedgehogs are not able to access any poison.

Quote from BHPS FAQs
    Hedgehogs are protected, in England, Scotland and Wales, under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, Schedule 6 and in Northern Ireland under the Wildlife (NI) Order 1985, Schedules 6&7.
    BHPS can be accessed by clicking on their logo above. FAQs in drop down list under ‘information’.

I imagine the problem is lack of enforcement. I agree it is a worrying problem – together with roads, strimmers, etc. Poor hogs, the odds seem to be against them.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog