Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Rat poison

Home Forums Champions’ chat Rat poison

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

My neighbour has just had rat poison laid in her garden, my concern is that if the rat eats it and then dies in my garden will the hedgehogs eat it? The hogs can’t get into her garden and we occasionally see the rat in ours.

Hi Gill

I’m sorry your neighbour has gone down this route. It’s not only destructive to the rat but also anything else that may eat it or the rat
    If the rat can get into your garden it’s very likely the hedgehog can get into theirs.
    The hog is unlikely to eat the rat but it will eat the poison
    I suggest you ask your neighbour to put the poison into something too small for the hog to get into, and that also they remove it as soon as they’ve got rid of the rat

Usually when one has rat poison put out it is inside bait boxes which a hedgehog couldn’t get into (although a juvenile might but it’s a bit early for those just yet!). I very much doubt it has been laid in the open but worth checking with them.

Nic

It’s amazing how many people don’t use bait boxes. Some even use rainwater type pipes laid on the ground, which is one of the reasons I worry a bit about hedgehogs being encouraged to use those to get into feed boxes, etc. I even heard of a professional pest person suggesting using that sort of thing.

Hi-
    have heard of someone using a bait box near me……can hedgehogs get in them?
    I am very concerned that having no visitors for over a month now may be connected
    Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog