Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

recording sightings

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings recording sightings

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I did record seeing hogs (not individually!) in my garden late last year, but two neighbours have told me they’ve seen hedgehogs in their gardens recently.
    Can I record these? Will it help ? Is the recording by postcode? Thanks.

Nic

Hi daffydill

I don’t know a huge amount about the Big Hedgehog Map, but when you get into it (which I think you can do via your postcode) you can actually zoom in to your garden – using the satellite image I found was easier. Then you can add all the hogs you have seen. The hogs your neighbours have seen might be the same ones, but they could have logged them independently from you. I assume there must be some adjustments made for the same hogs potentially being logged more than once by different people. But if you have, say 4 different hogs visiting your garden, then I would log each hog in.

It’s also possible to filter the results by year, so theoretically it’s probably a good idea to add them each year. i.e. one year there might be a total of 6 hogs visiting and the next only 2 – or vice versa.

Hope that helps.

Hi, I’ve added 4 hogs to the map today, unfortunately 3 were roadkill and one live one, that is now at a rescue and am waiting on the outcome.

If this helps other Champions, I also add mine to the local Wildlife Trust site as they have a map too which goes to their Biodiversity team. This has helped me, as they have supplied a map, which identifies hogspots and sightings which I am sending off with an application to apply to get Department for Transport’s official hedgehog signs. Apparently DfT request maps and data are supplied with applications. It seems hard to get them and not sure if any have actually been put up by any Council, but it’s worth a try…

I’m so sorry to say I found a decimated hedgehog on our lawn this morning. We have a badger sett up the road. I’m so distraught this is the second time this year. What can I do. We have a six and five foot high fence. So so sad

Nic

That is sad and must have been very distressing for you. Often if there are badgers around the hedgehogs aren’t, which is probably the best thing for them. If the badgers are finding their way in to your garden, then the only thing you can do is stop feeding the hogs (that is if you are feeding them) because they might be less alert to danger when they are at a feeding station. Sadly, even if the badgers can’t get into your garden the badgers could still catch the hogs when they leave – which they would have to do as one garden is simply not enough for hogs.

Sorry not to have anything more positive to say.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog