Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Reflections – and Mice

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Reflections – and Mice

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

My sister also has visiting hogs (4 at one time recently). She uses a shiny stainless steel dish for water and often sees the visitors drinking. However one hog was captured on video biffing the dish quite vigorously – we reckon it must have seen its own reflection and decided it was a hog who needed dealt with.

I feed my visitors a mix of dry hog food along with meaty dog food. A field mouse regularly visits my own feeding station, it helps itself to the dry hog food and I think it must be stashing it somewhere. A couple of nights ago, the trailcam caught it removing and running off with a large lump of the dog meat. The piece of meat must have been half the size of the mouse, but it managed to make off with it. Never realised they were such carnivores – or so strong!

In the past week have seen first swallow and house martins – a good sign, despite the chill air off the Moray Firth.

Talking of mice. My trail cameras caught this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeNdCt4pUl8

They live in the drystone wall and under the hedge. Seems to be quite a colony and breeding well. Woodmice i believe.

Willpar.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog