Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Regular Visitors / Death

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Regular Visitors / Death

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

we have regular visitors & have done for ~ 2.5 years now

saw 2 last night running about the grass & sadly saw 1 ~ 100M from front door dead on the road exiting our estate this morning.

Nic

Hi Martyn667

Really pleased to hear you have hedgehog visitors there, but very sad to hear about the dead one. Don’t forget to enter them all on to the Big Hedgehog Map https://bighedgehogmap.org/ That way, at least the poor dead hog can contribute something towards the knowledge of hogs for the sake of all hogs.

I don’t know how many gardens there are linked with hog holes where you are, but if lots of gardens are linked, there is less need for hogs to cross roads to find suitable habitat. So encouraging all your neighbours to have hog holes in their fences might be something you could do.

https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/link-your-garden/

Good luck. I hope you enjoy watching the hogs in your garden.

I also saw one today out side my house had been hit by a car in so sad about it came to my house and then gets killed 🙁

Sorry to hear about the casualties on the roads; if only people were made aware that there were hedgehogs in the area they may just slow down. I know Chris Grayling isn’t everybody’s favourite politician at the moment (are any of them!) but he is a hedgehog champion and has been working on introducing official Department for Transport hedgehog crossing signs. I don’t know if they are available yet, but it might be worth asking your local council, particularly if you know of an accident black spot!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog