Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Releasing a hedgehog

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Releasing a hedgehog

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi-
    My next door neighbour came in earlier to say a baby hedgehog was wandering around the garden and could I help. It was 11AM
    By the size I would say the hedgehog is weened. We looked for mum or siblings but couldn’t find anything apparent but she does have a lovely large area of wild land at the bottom of her garden
    The hedgehog made no attempt to get away from me. I collected him up put water and dog food in a box with torn paper and hay. He didn’t touch the food but looked as if he was trying to get under the paper and seemed to go to sleep. I then took him to the vet.
    They said they couldn’t see anything wrong but he had rolled up. It was agreed they would keep an eye on him and check him over and hopefully I will get him back tomorrow.
    My question is- Will he survive if he has been separated from mum? Or is it likely he is at the age to fend for himself.
    I will measure and weigh him when I get him back but I would say he was about 12 cms long
    I could release back where he was found and ask they put food and water out or I could take to the local wildlife place if it would be better for his survival.
    All suggestions welcome please.

ann

Personally I would take it to your local wildlife rescue who (almost certainly) will have more experience than the vets. At least the rescue centre (speaking from experience of where I take any) will feed it up & keep it if needed till it can come back to your garden. Good luck & keep us posted!

Thanks Ann,
    The hog is already at the vet as my local wildlife place told me to take it to the vet!
    I am going to ring another one later which is further away and see what they say.
    Will keep all posted

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog