Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Relieved to see Both Hetty and Big Bruiser doing well!

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Relieved to see Both Hetty and Big Bruiser doing well!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

First cam footage this morning after a week away! Whoop whoop!
    My daughter clearly did a grand job of hog sitting !
    Both Hetty and Big Bruiser showed up early last night and ate the food before the cat arrived!
    Oh ! This obsession with hog welfare!I cannot overemphasise the joy I felt this morning to see my healthy little visitors on the cam footage ! 😄

Nic

Hi Hettihog

Glad to hear the hogs successfully survived your week away! Well done, your daughter, for looking after them so well.

Well it just gets better and better. Hetty must feel quite safe living in my garden and particularly peckish tonight. I have never seen her at the feeding station before 9.30pm. She usually remains under the shed, until dusk! You can usually hear her under the shed, rustling about and scratching.
    But tonight out she came, as bold as brass at 8.30pm .
    Not at all put off by my presence, she went directly to the feeding station, straight in and had her dinner! What a joy to see her – made my day! Lol

Hi Hettihog, so pleased to hear your news, your daughters done well, perhaps she has spoiled them whilst you were away! I know you were fretting whilst away, but hope you managed to enjoy yourself. I’ve seen Pippa last night on the cctv for the first time in over a week, the little minx. Big Benny is still around and saw him investigating a drain I had cleaned out yesterday! I am sick of see these huge massive slugs that have appeared this year. The rain seems to have been good for them. Best wishes.

Hey Annker
    Pleased to hear Pippa and Benny are keeping you occupied. It’s strange how the hogs disappear for days at a time. Big Bruiser was still around when I returned from my holiday. I saw him on the cam footage, he looked great! Very big and healthy. But the last two nights he has not visited.
    Three nights ago Big Bruiser and Hetty seemed to have a bit of a confrontation with each other. I didn’t see the outcome because the cam stopped filming 😡 typical ! just at a possibly critical moment !
    Anyway, since then Bruiser has not been and Hetty has stopped going to the feeding stations on the lawn.
    I’m not particularly worried about Hetty, because she continues to eat at a feeding station situated near to her nest under the shed. But now I have the dilemma of do I continue to put food out for Bruiser or do I reduce to stop wastage? I’ve put it out tonight, ever hopeful of his return.
    I have to keep reminding myself it is a cruel world out there, but they are wild animals !
    But it doesn’t stop me worrying if they are ok!
    Happy hog watching! X

Nic

Hi Hettihog

Don’t worry too much too soon. Don’t forget that males have a larger range than females so they may be spending more time in other parts of it. Especially if there are no interesting females around. I can’t remember, did you say Hetty might have hoglets somewhere?

The problem here is none of the males seem to be interested in the females – more interested in food! One of the females huffs away encouragingly, to no avail.

I am still hopeful that some hoglets will appear from somewhere!

Hey Nic
    You really are a font of knowledge! I didn’t realise males travel further, but of course it makes perfect sense!
    Hetty doesn’t always leave the garden to forage and when she does it’s usually only a few hours between 10pm – 4am. Whilst Bruiser often doesn’t come out to the feeding stations until 10pm and he has sometimes scarpered off on his travels in 10 minutes, pretty much as soon as he’s scoffed the food.

Yes I was hopeful for hoglets, but this was a while back, when I was a newbie to the obsessional hog world lol!
    I now realise that Hetty probably wasn’t mature enough, she was quite tiny when I first saw her. I’m now thinking she was most probably a last years late hoglet.
    Its funny now to realise I made so many assumptions as a newbie, I certainly don’t profess to know a lot about hogs, but I know a lot more than those early days. I got all excited when she started moving the leaves and the hay I’d left near her nest. And I kept giving my husband excuses why we couldn’t go away on holiday- all un hog related of course. Lol
    But I think I was getting ahead of myself and she was just ready for a clean up and refurb of the nest.
    Actually, I’d be interested to know how often hogs refresh there nests, I was thinking of gathering more supplies as it gets colder, just to make life and hibernation a little easier – it can’t be very comfortable under the shed, as it’s sitting on concrete slabs.

But I digress, you should see Hetty now – She looks fab! Really healthy, fit and doubled in size. I’m really hoping she doesn’t have late hoglets now, as I understand it’s a bit late to ensure survival !
    It would make me extremely happy and satisfied, just to know I had helped a little bit to increase Hetty’s life chances and that of Bruiser.

But thank you, I will try to stop worrying about Bruiser now, but as you know it’s difficult when they’ve been coming out and eating the food every night, to suddenly see the food untouched.
    But I’m not giving up on him, it’s a good restaurant, if he’s a smart hog he will return – unless of course someone is offering him naughties like mealy worms!
    Happy hog watching! x

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog