Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Rescued a hog called Walter – but he’s now on the mend

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Rescued a hog called Walter – but he’s now on the mend

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Last month, it was about 11.45am – I saw a regular hog (who I named Sapphire) who I think was a autumn juvenile from last autumn who chose not to hibernate and resided in my original hog house in my garden.

He was getting a long drink from outside the feeding station, when he walked away, he was very wobbly and slow – which gave me enough time to fetch my pet carrier, and pick him up before he went back into his house.

Rang the hog hospital straight away, and noticed his back seemed to have blood on it.

Got to the hospital shortly after, she took one look at him and told me to go to her vets with him, they said they might have to put him down, as it appeared he had a problem with his back leg and his wound on his rump was very bad – and wasn’t curling into a ball.

But, thankfully, they decided to give him a chance, and gave him back to the hospital where he got some medicated baths to wash his wound, which was infected with fluke., some anti inflammateries for his leg which healed very quickly, but then once his wound had healed, he developed an abcess near the wound, so had to have 10 days of anti-biotics, which has now healed.

He is a big 1kg now, and has been very laid back about being in hospital. Probably enjoying the chance to eat plenty of food.

So I can’t wait to get him back. Also, still waiting to collect Sweetpea, she chose to hibernate whilst out at a foster carer, and still asleep! lazy girl. They said they’ll keep her for a week after she wakes up to fatten her up before they release her back to me.

Lots of hogs in my garden, and some one’s that I don’t recognise. Plenty of biffing at the mo, but not yet seen much courting behaviour, only a little bit.

Will be getting 2 more hog houses when I pick up Walter and Sweetpea, so will have a total of 4 houses! But they use them, and I feel they need a clean house to move into when they get released back if they chose to.

BTW Sapphire is now Walter, as he’s a boy obviously!

hello hedgie lover,
    this is such a lovely story so good to hear such happy endings.Im so glad that Walter is ok.:)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog