Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Rescued from middle of road (safely for hog and road users)

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Rescued from middle of road (safely for hog and road users)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Last night we rescued a hedgehog from the middle of the road -a busy B road in my village. It was alive and curled into a ball weighed 1.051Kg, a whopper. Luckily all the cars missed it and it appeared to have no visible injuries or blood, but looked flaked out so could have internal injuries or be dehydrated or stressed. Called a rescue and took it there ASAP; within an hour of finding it. Waiting on update from rescue. Not able to tell if male or female as just wanted to get it to rescue without stressing it further. Just to add that I made sure it was safe for me and road users when it was picked up and take care if you do the same. Hope to update on outcome later this week.

Nic

Hi char2020

Well done rescuing the hog and getting it to a rescue. There’s always a feeling of dread finding a hog in the road – not knowing whether it has been hit or managed to avoid the wheels. Have you had any news about it?

Hi Nic, Good news!
    Shortly after arriving at the rescue it gave birth so was a pregnant female. How glad am I that we collected it and went to a rescue (called first to check advice and for space ). It sounds like, they are doing well and have been moved to a quiet hutch. No idea how many hoglets but feel relieved they are safe and in the best place. Be great if they can return when bigger, will post more updates when I find out more but sound safe and well at the moment. 🦔🥰

Nic

Hi Char2020

That’s such good news! So it was a whole family you rescued! Look forward to hearing the next update.

No wonder she was so big and heavy, she was very very pregnant! What exciting news!

UPDATE-mum and two hoglets both over 500g have now been returned and released back into the wild. Providing a house for them and food. Settling in and finding the scent trails from other hogs in the garden to follow. All seem to be staying put, garden has access holes at front and back plus plenty of water and supplementary food.

Nic

Hi char2020

That’s great news! Always lovely to hear about successes! That’s lovely that they are continuing to frequent your garden. If all happens naturally, Mother hog will probably go off to hibernate first – once she doesn’t have to worry about the hoglets any more. But the hoglets may be around a bit longer. They will likely make their own hibernation nests (and should know, naturally, how to build one). Although, it seems hogs who have been in care for a while sometimes behave a bit differently.

Good luck. I hope all goes well with the hog family and hopefully in time many more generations of hogs will result from that rescue!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog