Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Rescued hog not putting on weight

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Rescued hog not putting on weight

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello, I care for rescue hogs up to release as part of Warwickshire Hedgehog Rescue and have successfully looked after many hogs over the years. I have one at the moment though that is causing us some anxiety so I thought I’d try the forum to see if others have come across a similar situation. It’s a female hog who came in with her brother in late October at 190g. She was poorly and initially treated at one of our main rescue centres until she was stable when she came to me. She gained weight steadily until about two weeks ago when her weight gain stalled. Since then it has moved up and down between 530 and 550g. She had previously had all her worm treatments and recently we’ve tried her on vitamin b. She eats well but just won’t get bigger and is now about 200g less than I would expect her to be at this stage. Does any carer have experience of this sort of pattern and any advice at all on this situation? She’s currently in my unheated conservatory as I do not want her to hibernate at the moment. Thanks for any help you can offer

I would strongly recommend rechecking for both worms and infection. I know you said it had already been treated but treatments are not always totally successful and stress of captivity can make issues worse.

It may be worth putting this hog with another – but only after medical checks as they often do better in captivity with another hog

Thanks Stef, we’ll give that a go. It’s definitely worth going back a step with her as she’s not making progress.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog