Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Rescued Hoglets returned

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Rescued Hoglets returned

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Late last year our resident hog was a road-kill victim. Five days later the hoglets started appearing during the day scavenging for food. My neighbours & I manage to rescue three of them, each weighing in around 160g. Took them along to my nearest Hedgehog Helper, Sandra, at Darlington hedgehog shelter where they have been able to bulk up and all hibernated successfully through the winter, thanks to their carers diligence.
    I have now had all three returned to me, all now weighing in around 850/900g and released them back into their old territory. Haven’t seen them since (Haven’t been looking really) but the feeding station is being emptied nightly.
    So I wish them well as they probably wouldn’t have survived the winter. At least I gave them a second chance, along with the caring helping hands of Sandra.

Nic

Hi MickS.
    Good work, you and Sandra helping all three hoglets through the winter, especially as they were so tiny. I found with the ‘rescues’ that were released here, that they were a bit timid to start with. Maybe you might see them when they become a bit more confident in their surroundings.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog