Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Safe Rose Spray

Home Forums Champions’ chat Safe Rose Spray

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi,

Does anyone know of a garden spray that attacks black spot on roses, but is perfectly safe if HHs come into contact ( or dogs even!)

Tx

I gave up growing roses a while ago; although beautiful they require so much tending with varied disease problems that require chemical solutions.
    Don’t think we can post website addresses here but if you Google ‘thewiedersgarden’ you might come across a blog (American) ( try searching – Controlling Blackspot Without Toxic Chemical Sprays) that has advice on preventative methods and safe sprays. Lots of useful information in there.
    For myself as I grow older, the garden just sprawls with low growing banks of perennials, spring bulbs, blossom/fruit trees, grasses. Less work = happy gardener, happy hogs!
    Hope you find a solution to ensure both beautiful roses and healthy wildlife (and dogs!)

Thanks for your suggestions. Trying a spray mixture of baking soda, vegetable oil in water found online. Notice there are also some natural oils too. As you say…hard work!

Please don’t use any pesticides. All of them pollute the ecosystem and will harm or kill something that should be protected. Introducing poison into the food chain always does more harm than good. And it spreads far and lingers for a long time. Nothing is worth causing that much damage for. There might be integrated pest management methods that can get rid of rose black spot, such as nematodes or something, but if there aren’t, then roses just aren’t supposed to grow there, and I recommend planting something else instead. Most garden roses have been bred for their appearance rather than benefit to wildlife anyway. But if you really want to save the roses without poisoning the whole ecosystem, I recommend looking into integrated pest management (IPM.)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog