Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Saw baby hog tonight

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Saw baby hog tonight

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Tonight when I put food out for the hogs that come by every night .. there was a tiny one a baby .. I dont like to pick them up but he was very small but had dark spines and a bit of a ‘fringe’ Shall I just leave him.. Will he be OK?

Nic

Hi laurabiding

It’s very difficult to say because how small is small. So you really need to try to weigh the little one. 450g is the recommended minimum weight for a hoglet to be before hibernation, but if you are feeding and it is a bit below that I would be inclinded to let it be and hope it continues to visit for food for a while. They do tend to put on weight quite quickly when they’re small. But you might want to take advice from your nearest carers – they will be more familiar with weather conditions, etc. in your area – to see what they recommend and if it is very low weight, it might need help anyway.

If you don’t already know how to contact your local carers, you can get details from BHPS on 01584 890801.

Thanks Nic.. they are still coming round for food..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog