Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Saw yesterday at 5pm!

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Saw yesterday at 5pm!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Saw a hedgehog after we had finished gardening in the daytime at 5pm yesterday. Seemed to be moving around happily but was not frightened of us, especially as we were within feet of it! Saw it eating bugs / worms I had moved earlier in the day. Was concerned it was so early in the day and bright sunshine. Left water and dog food out just in case it was ill. All gone this morning, but might have been local cats… Seemed far too tame tbh. As it walked off eventually to behind our greenhouse my husband heard squeaking (possibly under the greenhouse). Do you think it was a hungry female with babies? Left food and water out tonight just in case. Seemed odd. Open to suggestions as a bit worried! No idea how to post a photo sorry. Thanks

I am no expert but I think you might be Mama and Papa – congratulations!
    From info it seems if a hedgehog is out in the day at this time of year but healthy/alert it could be foraging for the young ones.
    Guard them, enjoy them, protect them.

I’ve just seen our hog at 12.30 today eating from the hog food! Seemed perfectly well. So nice to see it in such great detail

Nic

Hi Ammut

It sounds as if it could be a female with young ones – although couldn’t be sure about that. But it’s a great idea to leave some water for it and some food. It’s good to always leave water available – all day every day, just in case.

Let us know if any hoglets appear – fingers crossed!

Nic

Hi Thomas

That’s good that the hog seemed well. Keep an eye out just in case. (I’m assuming you meant 12.30 in the day?) It’s possible at this time of year that a female with young could be out and about during the day, but also possible for an unwell hog to be. A female with young would probably not hang around too long and would move purposefully. If the hog is looking lethargic, wobbly or seems to be sunbathing or if you are ever worried about a hog you could ring BHPS on 01584 890801 to get the details of your nearest hog carer/rehabilitator and take their advice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog