Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Screaming Hedgehog!

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Screaming Hedgehog!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Warwickshire Hedgehog Rescue released a large hog recently at a rural site near Leamington Spa. The homeowner was woken that night by a very loud screaming sound. He went out to find the hog, who was fine and curled, and saw a fox disappearing into the bushes. He decided to pick the hog up at which point it resumed its screaming until he put it down in his back garden. Fair to see he was terrified by this experience. I’ve read that hogs can do this as a defence mechanism and there are YouTube clips of screaming hogs, but have never heard it myself. It must be a rare event and I wondered if anyone else has heard this. I hope the fox has learnt his lesson!

Poor homeowner! I’ve heard some animals make odd noises to put off predators but didn’t know hedgehogs did this! Good to hear it was unharmed.

Hogs normally scream when they are in pain – ideally this hog should have been checked for wounds. And yes it’s a very loud and piercing cry

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog