Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Setting up a new hog home

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Setting up a new hog home

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoNic.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi, I’ve just joined and I love the site as its got loads of good info and advice.
    I think I have a hog hibernating in an old flower pot so I have got a new hog house. The best place I can think of is in the wild area where we put all the leaves every autumn. They are quite deep so is this a suitable location Or should I put it on firmer ground?
    Fingers crossed for some residents in the new house.

Nic

Hi Sammy the hog

Welcome to the Forum. Glad to hear you like Hedgehog Street – and yes, you’re right, there is loads of good information!

Well done getting a hog house. Lots of leaves sound brilliant – that’s what they like to make their nests. Their favourites are medium sized ones.

It’s difficult to know what to advise re. siting – not knowing the garden – but generally a wild area where they won’t be disturbed too much sounds good. Maybe you could bury the box in the leaves a bit?

But don’t worry if you don’t get a tenant immediately. Sometimes they like to wait until a box becomes ‘part of the landscape’. But you might be lucky – fingers crossed, indeed!

Good luck and happy hog watching!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog