Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Should we rescue an underweight hedgehog as hibernation approaches

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Should we rescue an underweight hedgehog as hibernation approaches

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I’m new to hedgehogs but it’s great because we have at least four if not more visiting throughout the night. I feed a hedgehog food from CJwildbird foods which they seem to like. One of the hedgehogs is really small and we’re worried if it does not grow quickly it will not survive the winter. Would it be ok to care for it in a safe place over the winter, somewhere protected from the worst of the cold? If so, when would be the best time to do this as I assume the time will come when they just won’t visit the garden at night anymore?
    Thanks for your help

Nic

Hi Maryann

Welcome to the Forum. Brilliant news that you have some hogs visiting there.

I can understand your concern and you’re right that some hoglets need help over-wintering, but it’s really too soon to be worrying about them being underweight yet. Hoglets tend to put on weight surprisingly fast and it’s likely that if that hoglet is out and about on it’s own already, it will have plenty of time to put on enough weight for hibernation. It’s actually very stressful for hogs to be in captivity, so it’s best avoided. As long as you keep feeding the hoglet it has a good chance of being able to stay in the wild, which is the best thing for any wild hog.

The hogs probably will gradually disappear off to hibernate. In the past I have found that it’s normally the adult males who go first, then the adult females and lastly the hoglets. Although there are always exceptions. Occasionally a hog will decide not to hibernate and if that happens, just continue offering food and water. I have had hogs not hibernating here before and they continued to visit all winter even in freezing temperatures and one year when there was snow.

Thank you for the advice, that makes sense. I’ll keep putting the food out!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog