Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Sightings

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Nic

Hi Lesley

It isn’t really an exact science. There are many variables. It depends to some extent when they went into hibernation, where you are in the country etc. The males tend to hibernate earlier than the females and come out of hibernation earlier. Some in March, which is not long now. The females tend to hibernate later (they are often delayed by hoglet rearing duties) and it can be as much as two months later that they return.

But we don’t really know how climate change might effect all this. Already quite a few hogs are deciding not to hibernate at all. Although it’s possible these are mostly first year hogs – more research is needed to find out how many, whether mostly youngsters, etc.

So, start preparing – hogs could return soon.

Hi
    I am very happy to say that I have seen a hedgehog in our garden for the last 2 nights! We were worried s/he (Eddie) wasn’t going to wake up as smallish when last seen ( disappeared before we could try to rescue) if same hog of course. Hope to see more hogs in the garden this year as there were 10+ here a couple of years ago …..
    Cam

I saw both mine last night they were last years babies, and they’ve been hibernating in there new hoggy house, they also come to call I’ll try and get a photo later in the week. Haven’t yet seen mum

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog