Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Sleeping in the open, evening

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Sleeping in the open, evening

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I saw our local hedgehog sitting very still at the back of our garden tonight at 9.30pm. I approached him because he’s normally snuffling about and just passing through – he looks like he’s asleep maybe? He’s not curled up but he’s facing the ground. He didn’t move away from me though he winced a bit when I made a deliberate gentle noise close by. After a while I touched his back with a leaf and he didn’t react at all. I thought perhaps he was a different hog as he’s smaller than I remembered…is he asleep? I can see him breathing. This can’t be good?

I’m very worried. I didn’t touch him with my hands and I’ve currently left him alone this evening. I have posted before that he’s usually a very active chap that was out all hours of the day – odd behaviour but it’s been going on for some time (weeks, months) so no one really worried too much. I know very little about hogs but surely he should have reacted to me?

It’s night here so I haven’t done anything further but I’m wondering what I can do to help. Any advice appreciated.

*update* I left the guy for and checked on him again around 10pm, now he’s gone (which I think is a good thing!). He left scat in the place I found him prior. Is this a dumb question but did I just interrupt him toileting! (haha I hope so, I would hate to think he’s sick).
    I’m going to keep an eye out and ring our local centre for advice tomorrow. I always put out water but I may put out food if it could be of help. Any advice here is still appreciated. Thanks!

Nic

Hi Arttheanimator

My advice would be ring the local rescue centre today. It might not even be the same hedgehog, as you suggested.

If anyone finds a sick or injured hedgehog, time is of the essence. Don’t leave them hoping they might recover – they might not. But if they get help they might. At the very least what harm can it do to contact your local carer and take their advice. But do it sooner rather than later.

Good luck.

Thank you x
    Keeping a keen eye out and ready for emergency if needed. I’ll do my best!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog