Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Sleeping nest boxes

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Sleeping nest boxes

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Avatar photoNic.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi there, we have several hog visitors and a couple of nesting boxes.
    Just wondering, I know hogs often sleep in different nests not always returning to the same one.
    So I’m assuming that they operate a first come first served use of nesting boxes? And aren’t territorial in that way?

Nic

Hi Nikstar

Hedgehogs don’t actually have territories, so are not territorial in that way. They have ranges and the ranges of different hedgehogs overlap. But male hogs will behave aggressively to other male hogs if they are in their personal space i.e. too close to them. So a more dominant hog will be quite likely to biff a less dominant one if they meet.

I’m not sure about in hog boxes, but imagine if a dominant hog came home to his then current hog house and found a less dominant one there he might have something to say about that! Although, in reality if a hog is already rolled up in a box, there may not be much another hog entering could do about it and the second hog would likely have to go out again to allow the one already in residence to leave. (in my boxes, anyway, as the entrance tunnels are reduced in size to stop cats getting in). On the other hand I have had two male hogs in the same hog box before now – for successive nights, so not just a one off.

But a hog may be able to tell from scent that another hog has recently been in residence and if there is a choice of locations to bed down for the day, may choose not to use that nest. Sharing of nests (or having alternating hogs being ‘tenant’s of nests) would not seem a good idea from the perspective of passing on parasites. In the wild a hog would not normally re-use a nest (i.e. hibernation nest), which is why it’s necessary to clean out hog houses if we want them to be used again. Although it’s possible that might be, to some extent, determined by possible alternative suitable locations and on individual hogs’ previous life experiences.

There are always new things to learn about hogs and their behaviour may adapt to circumstances.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog