Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Small Hedgehog

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Small Hedgehog

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

My Son has brought home a small hedgehog which he found collapsed and laid out flat on a foot path at work. At first he thought it was dead!, We have given it food and water and is now very lively. It is 310g I was thinking of feeding it a few days and then releasing it either where my son found it or at the bottom of my garden. it seems very small compared to the hedgehogs I have in my garden does the size seem ok at this time of year or should I see if there is a hedgehog rescue near me?

Nic

Hi nsp24

Well done your son for helping the hedgehog! I would be inclined to get it checked out by a hog carer, or at least take their advice before releasing the hog. You/your son can explain the details more fully and they will have the opportunit to ask any questions.

But when the time comes to release it, it’s best to be released back where it came from or in as near a safe space as possible – that will be the area that the hog is familiar with and so it will be likely to do best there.

310g sounds ok for this time of year. There is still a while to go until most hogs hibernate.

You can get contact details of your nearest carer by ringing 01584 890801 (no. also at bottom left of this page).

Good luck – hope all goes well.

thank you will ring tomorrow

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog