Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Smell

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

We have several hedgehogs, but saw one this evening around 6pm. It looks thin, but had been in the feeding station. I bought out some wet dog food and it ate the lot. It then ran away fairly quickly. However, it returned about 9pm (still light), and I knelt down to take a closer look and it’s smell was pungent and offensive. I’m wondering if it might be a lactating mother that’s recently come out of a nest – hence the smell. I don’t want to take her to a vet or rescue if she’s nursing babies.

Nic

Hi P@tr1cKio

I think you should ring your nearest carer and explain the situation to them. If it smells that bad, the hog may have an injury which has become infected. You can get details of your nearest carers by ringing 01584 890801 (number also shown bottom left of this page). I believe you should be able to get the number out of hours by listening to the message and getting through to a volunteer.

Please ring a carer as a matter or urgency – if it is an infected wound, time is of the essence. But you can give more details to a carer and take their advice.

Good luck.

Hi Nic,

The hedgehog appeared again today around 1.30pm. Still an offensive smell. I took it to my vet. Poor little thing was riddled with maggots, so sadly he was put down. I do wonder if anything else could have been done, but having been a nurse, the smell was putrid and I think he was too sick to save. Thanks for the number which I have kept for any future requirements.

Nic

Hi P@tr1cKio

So sad to hear about the poor hog. Well done for getting it to the vet, which probably saved it from more suffering. Sometimes badly injured hogs appear when they are too late to save, however hard anyone tries.

Re. maggots – some hog carers will try to save a hog with maggots, but time is always important in the first place and it can be a long recovery. I imagine there is always a judgement call and people likely have different opinions about the best course of action in some cases – those are decisions for experts. But, I would always be inclined to contact a hog carer/rehabilitator to start with, if at all possible – but I know that isn’t always possible.

Fingers crossed the other hogs all stay out of danger, but I have no doubt that if a similar sitution should arise you would recognise that smell (once smelt never forgotten) and know what to do.

But you did your best for the little hog and that’s all we can do. You might like to add the poor hog to the Big Hedgehog Map. I always think it is a way of marking that hogs life and potentially helping hog-kind in general. https://bighedgehogmap.org/ On a lighter note, you might like to add your other hog visitors to the map as well.

Good luck with the other hogs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog