Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Snuffles and hoglets update.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Snuffles and hoglets update.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi all just wanted to update you on Snuffles and if she had any hoglets.

No hoglets and Snuffles is still a rather large hedgehog. Over the last 5 weeks, I have been keeping log, by using my trail camera. No sign for a good two weeks, then the odd sighting late at night, where Snuffles has kept very near the shrubs.
    The last week and a half Snuffles has been investigating the other hedgehog home in my garden.
    I have put some fresh straw in places in the garden, incase Snuffles wants to build another nest, etc.

My conclusion is that Snuffles is a very large male, though as I am no expert I may be wrong. I am hoping that Snuffles uses one of the homes as a hibernation home.
    If Snuffles does not use the homes, I am only too pleased that a hedgehog has used my garden more this year and not just paid my garden a visit.

I will not touch the home that was used and filled with straw,leaves, reeds and goodness knows what else, till spring gets here and I am 100% sure the home/homes are empty.

If by chance things change ie hoglets suddenly do appear or Snuffles uses one of the homes as a hibernation place etc, I will update you all.

Julie.

Nic

Hi Julie

It sounds as if there could still be a chance that Snuffles was a female having hoglets she may just not have brought them out yet. Although I’m not sure how long your timeline was. But they don’t always bring them to a feeding area until they’re a bit bigger. Especially if there might be other hogs around there.

The good news is, though, that Snuffles is still around and visiting your garden. Hoglets would just be a bonus. I have found here, that sometimes hoglets suddenly appear – on their own – sometimes even after the adult females have disappeared to hibernate. I’m still hoping for hoglets here!

Good luck.

Thank you, fingers are still crossed.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog