Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Snuffly Holes

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Snuffly Holes

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Our hedgehog is now a regular,(since March) visitor to his? feeding station, sometimes half his food is gone 20g, sometimes all of it 40g. Does this 40g indicate more than one hedgehog. My husband built a lovely hedgehog house which we placed at the top of the garden, 11 weeks ago, we haven’t disturbed it to see if it is used. Leaving it a while longer yet.
    I have noticed small ‘snuffly holes.’ In our lawns, are these signs of our hedgehog foraging for worms.

Nic

Hi valg

Sorry can’t answer your question re. quantities of food. It depends how much food the hogs are getting in the wild and from what other people leave out – whether anything else is also eating it i.e. cats, etc. You might find you’d like to get a night camera to give you a better idea of what’s going on.

Re the holes in the lawn. The hogs here don’t dig holes in the lawn, although I believe hogs will dig for things – possibly in borders rather than lawns where it would be easier. Usually the hogs here wait until part of a worm appears and then grab it and rapidly reverse to pull it out of the hole! I remember seeing a website where they showed pictures of how different animals dug in lawns/grass. Sorry, can’t remember what site it was, but you might be able to find something on Google or the like which shows something similar to the holes you have.

Well done your husband building a hog house! Hope you get a tenant soon. Sometimes it takes the hogs a while to accept them, but other times they move in almost straight away. You could try leaving a twig, flower or some rolled up paper (that sort of thing) in the doorway to see if anyone is going in or out. Often the nesting material is as important as a hog box – they still need to build a nest inside for i.e. a birthing nest or hibernation nest. So make sure that you leave suitable materials in the vicinity – leaves (medium sized are preferred) long grasses, etc.

Good luck and happy hog watching.

Hi, We have bought a Blink wildlife Camera and can confirm we have two hedgehogs visiting. Thursday night was particularly busy. 16 visits with 2 very busy hogs, in maybe courtship behaviour. I will try & put the video on the gallery along with pic of the ‘Snuffly Holes.’ As yet our Hedgehog House still doesn’t appear visited, although we darent look inside, shall wait a while yet. 50g of food eaten most nights except for a few crumbs.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog