Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Something has moved my hog house!

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Something has moved my hog house!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello! The local hedgehog had a run-in with a cat last night, which pinched its food, so tonight I concealed the hog food in the hog house, round the corner and out of reach of cats. There was no sign of any animal activity on this rainy evening. Then when I poked my head out at about 11:00 pm, I saw that the hog house had been moved about two yards and left in the middle of the lawn, and the hog’s dinner bowl had been extracted, emptied and (final insult) turned neatly upside down on the grass! What could do that? A fox?? Any ideas how I can prevent it happening again and make the hog house safe for potential residents? Thanks!

Hi Sblaxland172,

Welcome to the ‘Twilight Zone’!

Many of us have experienced strange goings on; my money would be on a fox or even a badger, but sometimes these things remain a mystery. What type of hog house is it, is there any way you could put something heavy on the top or wedge it into a corner?

Hi, Penny! Thanks for the advice. I’m relatively new to the ‘hog world. We had one sporadically two years ago, none detected last year, but during this hot spell the latest little chap has turned up almost daily. I think it must be foxes doing the nighttime antics (there are some locally and we don’t have badgers – v suburban) but I’m amazed at their determination! The hoghouse is a simple wood/plywood commercial one. I think I’ll try weighing it down as you suggest or anchoring it in place with stakes round the edges. Hedgehog seems to have steered clear in the last couple of days – at least while we are awake. I will post again if I find out more!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog