Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Spotted again after 5years

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Spotted again after 5years

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

After 5years, this year from 8th March, we have been blessed with a hedgehog visitor, infact two on 16th March. Fortunately we were alerted to them by Sam, our dog, who does not bother them. So now with a feeding station and Hedgehog House built and installed by my husband we are encouraging our new little visitors. Reliant on the crumby dishes and footprints they leave, (we dont have a camera) they come most nights, we have had a few missed nights on three occasions. Is this normal behaviour?
    Two weeks ago we refilled the food bowl twice 80g of kitten food in all!!! in one night. The food was definitely taken by a hedgehog but this does seem an excessive amount!!! Surely there must have been more than one visitor, dont you think?? I really think we have to invest in a camera!

Nic

Hi valg

Brilliant news there are hogs back visiting there. Yes, it’s definitely a good way to see if there are hogs about, having a camera. I always recommend watching in real time as well – if you have the time (at the right time!) because cameras do miss things, but at least you can see who turns up when you aren’t around to watch.

Sounds as if they are lucky hogs, anyway! Happy hog watching.

The one thing that surprised me after I started monitoring them with a camera was how many times a hog would visit in a night. I have videos showing the same hog visiting at intervals from 8:30pm up to 05:40 the next morning, sometimes 5 or 6 visits.

It also showed me just how many cats that I had seen around but never in my garden during the day came by at night (along with occasional foxes) which resulted in me getting catproof feeding boxes set up.

Sadly our hedgehog hasn’t visited for food for 10nights. We are so sad and hope eventually he/ she/they will come back.

Wonderfully he has been back since middle April. He? Herbert has some pale patches on his rump, visits every night, seems very big! and eats lots of food. Tuesday we got our Blink Camera and footage that night confirmed where all the food is going. We have 2 hedgehogs – Herbert and friend. XX

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog