Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Spring Feeding?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Spring Feeding?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Is anyone actively feeding now – the weather is cold/wet so not sure if our resident hedgehogs are up and about and if I should be putting food down or waiting a bit longer?

I do feed my ancient cat outside due to his digestive problems and his supper seems to be “disappearing” at 6-7 pm feed. The hedgehogs normally come and take his food at this mealtime but this seems too early in the year, of course it could be other visiting cats.

I don’t want to confuse the hogs but if they may be awake will put some food nearer to their hibernation sites away from the cat feed point.

Nic

Hi Impishfriend

If there is any doubt, I would put some food and water out for the hogs. Some of them have been coming out of hibernation early this year, possibly because of the unusual weather. I have had a hog here all winter – a late hoglet that was big enough to hibernate, but chose not to. If they do come out of hibernation early, there won’t be much food around in the wild for them. If you are not sure, then you could put out cat/kitten biscuits, which should be ok for a few days if they aren’t all eaten at once (as long as they are under cover). Some people leave food out all winter in case.

Thanks Nic Ill try as you suggest and put some biscuits underneath near the house where the cats cant reach and check later in the week any activity.

I have been putting out food up in the garden the past few nights just in case. Last night i put out “gardencam” acing a feeder. The feeder was a suet ball container that i converted. Only down side of using plastic is that it condensates and the floor gets wet.
    Several clips joined together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k9XCoUK-50

Willpar.

Have been putting a small amount of dry food out all winter just in case. Heard a rustling outside earlier and low and behold a hedgehog emerged so topped up the food and water. It is quite mild tonight but due to get much colder in a day or two.

At least one hedgehog has returned to our garden and feeding station over the last few nights – he/she arrives about 10pm and roams the garden for a couple of hours, returning to the feeding station two or three times during that time.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog