Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

!st one in Welsh hills

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings !st one in Welsh hills

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

!st Hedgehog of the year at 297m in the North Welsh hills. Caught on cam same date as last year, we thought they’d all been run over on our narrow lane.

Nic

Hi VicPaine

That’s great news that at least one hog has returned – hopefully the first of many. Interesting that it was the same day as last year. Some hogs seem to have inbuilt clocks/calendars!

Hello Team,
    our “hogs” are active since last week, so we have the night camera out to record their movements.
    We had 3 different ones last season, but have only identified One this time.
    Not sure if the other 2 were youngsters, and had moved on overwinter, or they hadn’t survived the winter? Any ideas?

Nic

Hi Jane

Good to hear you have hog activity there. Sadly not all hogs will survive hibernation. It is probably the most dangerous ‘natural’ time for them. We just have to hope that all those we have got to know will return. But sometimes hoglets will move away from the area where they were hoglets, especially the males, I have found. So those are two possibilities. (But it follows that means hoglets from other areas, may move into yours). But also if the hoglets went into hibernation late, they might be a bit late coming out. So hopefully you will get more returning.

By the way, there isn’t a team as such, on the Forum – it’s just a matter of one of us other participants on the Forum helping others out. So we all help each other to help the hogs.

Good luck and happy hog watching.

Hi,
    I am so happy to say that my girl (no idea of the sex, but always referred to her as a girl) has returned. She turned up last year and we fed her throughout the summer. She came every night, even the 5 cats didn’t bother her. She disappeared into hibernation quite early so I was a bit concerned something had happened to her. I put some food out two nights ago as knew it would be about the right time and although the food disappeared I didnt see her, so couldn’t tell if it was her or the cats who had eaten it. Last night when I went out she was already waiting on the grass. So happy to see her!
    Heres to lovely summer nights sitting outside and chatting to Mrs Snuffleupagus!

Second one turned up last night, I thought he’d been run over last year but one eye is back 🙂

Nic

Hi VicPaine

Really pleased to hear he wasn’t run over! Brilliant news.

Nic

Hi Shazia

Good to hear your girl has returned – must be a clever girl, already waiting for you the next night! Yes, here’s hoping for a good Summer for all our hog friends.

Happy hog watching!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog