Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Still hibernating?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Still hibernating?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi, I’m just wondering if it’s possible that my local hogs are still in hibernation? With the spells of warm weather we’ve been having I had hoped they would have returned by now, I’m hoping it’s not a bad sign that I haven’t seen them. I have seen one roadkill about a mile away sadly.

Thanks

Nick

Nic

Hi Nick

It’s just possible there are some females still hibernating. Especially if they went into hibernation late. But would expect them to be up and about fairly soon. But the weather has been so strange with cold nights, etc.

Still no sign of hedgehogs here either. Last year the first visit was on 2nd April, with several individuals spotted during April. Another difference is that the cat which visits eats up most of the food left for hedgehogs. In previous years it has ignored the food – I assumed that was because it was more interested in mice, but this year there’s no sign of any mice.

I have a hedgehog in my back garden still hibernating. I’ve got a camera on the hedgehog house so I will know when it comes out..

If you know you have a hibernating hog in your garden – and that it definitely is hibernating, not just that you haven’t seen it move, I would contact your nearest carer for ‘wake up’ advice. We are nearly into May and they will need to be rousing now or risk not having reserves to do so

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog