Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Stocksbridge hedgehogs

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Stocksbridge hedgehogs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Has anyone in the Stocksbridge area had sightings of hedgehogs,

We used to have 8 in our garden but over last year or more none seen maybe one or two. Tonight at 11pm security light came on and there was once racing across lawn.

We have two cats and they insist going out at night so wondering whether they are scaring the hedgehogs away.

This morning unfortunately my daughter reported yet another hedgehog run over on Hole House Lane Stocksbridge. It’s a busy road. The hedgehogs must be visiting other gardens and risking crossing over. It would have been quiet at night and with lights on car people should see these creatures. Please stop racing around in your vehicles and take time to think when driving at night.

Hi Jennifer,
    so sad to see isn’t it – I cant help but scan the roads every morning on my way to work, checking for the overnight hog casualty count.
    In some parts of the World they construct wildlife crossings either over or under the highways and byways – which the little beasties actually learn to use. Perhaps with the ever increasing development here in the UK we should be doing more of the same. Humans and wildlife can cohabit quite successfully – it just requires some consideration and planning.

Hi Jan-Marie

Yes it is very sad.

Thankfully one healthy hedgehog seen this evening around 10pm in our garden. Have kept our kitties in to give the hedgehog some peace and quiet.

As soon as they hear a noise in garden they are on the prowl. I’m sure their prickly spines would deter attack but just want the hedgehog to survive.

Four years ago we had 8 hedgehogs in your garden. Kitties joined us not sure if this was their demise or possible use of slug pellets by neighbours who grow their own vegetables. I dare not ask if this is the case. I know my one neighbour does not as her hedgehog nips into our garden which is organic as hers is.

I’ve three cats and plenty of foxes visiting, but I also have plenty of hogs sharing the garden ๐Ÿ™‚

My hogs disappeared when I grassed over my organic vegetable plots and mowed it back to short lawn-grass.

I then decided to manage that area as a largely uncut wildlife area, and they returned ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog