Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Stone Walls!

Home Forums Champions’ chat Stone Walls!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hello I’m about to start a push to get my entire street to join the Hedgehog Highway. However, I’m aware that lots of the gardens are very old stone walled gardens. Does any one have any tips or ideas for creating highways through walled gardens? I very much doubt people will want to damage the walls in any way.
    Thank you

Nic

Hi IdaDown

Well done for trying to get a Hedgehog Highway going there. I know some people do either drill holes through brick walls, or perhaps remove a few stones – although you would need to be careful doing that, that the wall was still stable and I can see not everyone would want to do risk damaging their walls.

If there are gates, the hogs might go along the wall to get into the next garden via a gate – i.e. if the gate height was adjusted so hogs could get underneath (or alternatively the ground lowered slightly under the gate).

Hogs will go up ramps. I have seen, on TV, a situation where the ground level changed substantially from one place to the next and the hogs apparently adapted well to a ramp which was put up to reach the higher level. So I’m wondering, whether ramps could be put up either side of a wall to allow hogs to get over the top. It probably depends a bit on how high the walls are! The ramp I saw was against the side of the wall/bank which I imagine might feel safer to a hog than one with a drop on either side. You never know, whoever built that ramp might even be on Hedgehog Street and be able to describe it in more detail.

Good luck. I hope you succeed with the hog highway and find a workable solution to the wall problem. Happy hog watching!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog