Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Stop slugs eating plants

Home Forums Champions’ chat Stop slugs eating plants

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi.

Ideally the visiting hedgehog would eat all the slugs for me. But some of these slugs and snails are pesky plant eaters and too much for one little hog.

I want to put out some plug plants and of course do not want to use slug pellets.

Any ideas?

Nic

Hi Strider

Some people reckon that spraying garlic water on the plants deters slugs (there’s a recipe for it in here: https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/gardening-with-a-clear-conscience/ ), but also sheeps wool (if it gets damp the slugs might settle underneath, so it’s worth checking for that if it’s been raining, but when it’s dry they don’t seem to like slithering over it), having an area ie. raised bed which you can put copper strips round. Also Stef has in the past recommended some stuff called strulch. You could also go out after dark and evict any slugs in the area to a different part of the garden. They will probably come back, but it might give you a bit of extra time. But I would water the plants early so that the soil isn’t damp around them in the evenings. Slugs like it a bit damp. Some people also use crushed egg shells (you might need quite a lot of that to make a thick enough area round each plant).

But, if I were you – and they are only plug plants – I would pot them up first to larger pots and grow them on a bit before putting them into the garden. Plug plants are so tiny, they make a bit of an easy meal.

Totally agree, slug pellets not a good idea.

Good luck!

hello, I have lots of slugs – see them on the hog feeder trailcam! I have not done anything about them, but did notice an advert from a company called grazers Grazers which indicated it was eco-friendly (even has hogs on the label). Has anyone tried it or have more info on it?

Anonymous

Slugs do not seem to be a hedgehog’s preferred choice of food (nor woodlice) no matter how many times I read that they eat them.

More the pity as there are still loads of both in the garden. 🙁

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog