Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

strange behaviour-or is it?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings strange behaviour-or is it?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

we have had a few in our garden recently, including 2 that wanted to share the same house, even though there are 2 houses.One is currently in the garden and has been here now for a few weeks.We think she is a female as there were a few incidents of ‘activity’ we witnessed a couple of weeks ago.She seems to be ok as she comes out at night and feeds, but she has recently been going out alot later or less frequently, and also she has taken to choosing a different box each night(out of the 2 here) but then swaps around during the day time.Is this normal? we think she may be a pregnant female.

Hi poundy
    I’ve had a resident hog for two months and it used two hog houses regularly as well and took nesting material into each. I also hoped it was a pregnant female but last night it didn’t return so I checked the houses and just found lots of dried poo and smelly hay. This may well be just something they do when there is more than one house available. I hope though that you have more luck than I have had and some hoglets do arrive!

oh dear and as by magic the same night you said your went, so did mine 🙁 but hopefully they will come back 🙂

Hi poundy
    I’m pleased to report that my resident came back after one night away and is now back in one of the houses. I think it’s just a messy hog and may have found the houses attracting flies after so long in residence. I took advantage of it’s absence to clean and disinfect the houses and put in new hay and that seems to have worked for the time being. I’m sure it’ll wander off again and, for the last few years, I’ve found that all the hogs disappear late August/early September and others have reported this as well.

just checked all my cameras and they have come back last night to the garden but didnt stay so im going to do as you did because i had noticed alot of flies around the boxes so it may be a simlar case.I will let you know how i get on 🙂

well i did what you said and last night both came back and both stayed 🙂

Great news poundy! My resident stayed for a couple of nights then moved out again. I’m still getting nightly visitors but a bit less frequently in the last couple of days. We’ve had a lot of rain here so I hope that there is better foraging for them now and they will be less reliant on the supplementary food and water I put out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog