Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Strange Markings

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Strange Markings

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi, I have a new regular visitor the last week. It is rather large and has strange markings over the whole of its body rather like camouflage pattern. Not sure what the colours are as we see it on the night vision camera which shows everything as black and white. Can hedgehogs have markings like a tabby cat ? Phil.

Nic

Hi Phil

No hedgehogs don’t have markings like tabby cats. It sounds as if the poor hog has been excessively artificially marked by someone. Why anyone thinks they have the right to do that to a hedgehog is beyond me, but sadly it happens all too often. It is unkind to the hedgehog and could impact on it’s life as a wild hedgehog. So sad to hear about it.

Oh dear that’s not good. Think I need to invest in a better camera so I can see them better. Other than the markings it seems healthy.

About 8 weeks ago my video showed a hedgehog with strange round, black (would be at night) marks which almost looked like a dog bite. I sent it to my local rescue centre for advice. It was a large hog and looked very healthy. The rescue centre suggested the marks may be ticks but to keep an eye on it. Over the next few weeks the marks faded and hog still very healthy. Of course one never knows how many hogs are visiting but this definitely showed fading marks. hog devotee

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog