Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Strange Nesting Behaviour

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Strange Nesting Behaviour

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I have two hog houses and have had two resident hogs for the last 6 weeks or so. I believe at least one of them is a nesting female. One of hogs is clearly showing teats on a recent photo. In the last couple of nights I’ve seen one hog come out of one house, eat, then go back into the other house. During the night both hogs come and go numerous times and I’m certain that they spend the day in separate houses. I’m at a loss to explain this behaviour, can anyone help? I’ve set the camera to video tonight in the hope this might clarify things. I’ve had two hogs briefly sharing the same house in the past but I only had one house then. Why would this be happening when they have a spacious house each?

Nic

Hi 5sandown

You don’t mention which hog it is that’s going in the other box. Is it the nursing one? And was the other hog in residence when one went in the other box? Couldn’t blame the mother for taking a quick nap away from the little ones now and then! Hopefully you’ll get more information from the video, but just bear in mind that there is still a gap in time in between videos, during which a hog can easily go into or out of a hog house. Nothing beats actually watching them in real time to see what’s really going on.

Hi Nic
    Last night and again this morning we’ watched the hog coming out of one house to eat and then going in the other. Unfortunately the video didn’t help but I take the point about the time elapse. I’m starting to think that I might only have one hog after all and that it’s comings and goings recently between the two houses on camera have made me believe there’s two. There are other overnight visitors as well. You could very well be right and she’s got hoglets in one nest and is using the other fir respite. I’ll keep monitoring.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog