Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Strimmer injury

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Strimmer injury

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Last summer I rescued a hedgehog in daylight from the road side, intending to put it someone safer away from the road. when I picked him up I noticed he had a large gash on the back of his neck filled with maggots. I phoned the RSPCA who said they would see what they could do but it wasn’t a priority. I couldn’t just leave him there so I located a local vet who agreed to see him immediately. The vet said it looked like a trimmer had done the damage. he said the hedgehog was in shock so he would bed him down for the night. I feared the worst. anyway the next day the vet operated, cleaned the wound and stitched it (what a man). A few days later as it was a very dry few weeks, the hedgehog was taken to a local rescue centre for rehabilitation and return to the wild. I was one happy woman. I hope he’s still out there living his life.

Nic

That was one lucky hog, Prosecco13, that you found it in time and got it to the vet. AND well done vet for saving the hog.

Although, of course, unlucky that it was strimmed in the first place. I have had two hogs with strimmer injuries here. The first one unfortunately had to be euthanased because the injury was so bad but another is currently at the local Wildlife Hospital where is has been for several weeks. The wound was deep and not suitable for stitching, but it has apparently now healed and just waiting for some spines to grow back. Then hopefully the hog can come back home. Amazing work by the Wildlife Hospital, when others may have thought the hog was past saving. Both hogs thankfully managed to make it to my garden. Even though one had to be euthanased, at least it didn’t die a long, slow, painful death. Needless to say, I don’t use strimmers.

Strimmers and other garden machinery can cause some horrendous injuries and death to hedgehogs. You may have read https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/euthanise-hog-without-cheek-and-eye/
    So sad.

This is an extract from BHPS FAQs:
    Help! I’ve harmed a hedgehog whilst strimming.

Undoubtedly one of the most worrying calls we receive. PLEASE check areas thoroughly before strimming or mowing. These injuries are usually horrific and the hedgehog often has to be put to sleep, of course many are killed instantly with this kind of accident. Do check for hoglets as the nest you have strimmed could be a nursery nest.

But there are things everyone can do to avoid such injuries. Here is a post, which I wrote in memory of the first hog I mentioned above, which includes some tips about keeping hogs safe in the garden:
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/strimmers-etc/

Please everyone check any long grass, including edges of shorter grass, etc. before you strim. Hedgehogs natural defence is to roll up. Much better to have a cross hedgehog who has been gently prodded with a broom or stick than to have a dead or severely mutilated one. If you find a hog move it carefully to somewhere safely out of harms way and make sure it hasn’t come back to the area where you are working.

To my mind, this subject doesn’t get enough publicity, so thank you Prosecco13 for raising it again.

BHPS poster: https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/posters/Strimmers.pdf
    A poster from Willows Hedgehog Rescue, who ran a strimmer campaign: https://chascreek.blogs.com/.a/6a00d83451ded069e201b8d1046a8c970c-popup

When I rang to check on it ‘s progress, I feared the worst, but I thought at least it has been spared a slow painful death. fortunately that wasn’t the case. since then I have bought three trail cameras and captured pics of hogs in my garden. I thought my garden was inaccessible to hogs (to keep my dog in) but I was surprised to see them creeping under the gate (hogs not dogs). I have dug a tunnel under the fence between next door and they now have access through. Who would have thought one little hog could start such a rewarding pastime.

Nic

Hi Prosecco13

So pleased you are enjoying having the hogs around. It does tend to get a bit addictive – all things hedgehog – they are such endearing little things. They come into my garden under the gate, too. Well done making them a tunnel next door. Just what they need, access to as many gardens as possible.

I rang up about the strimmed hog, today and apparenly it’s beginning to grow the spines back. I’m really pleased. It’s been a long time, and so sad It has had to be captive all this time, but hopefully not too long before it can come home.

Yes it is sad it’s been deprived of freedom for a while, but worth it when it gets released. It is definitely an addictive interest. My garden is not really ideal for hogs. Front has small lawn and beds around. Back has small lawn, pebbles and pond (with sloping beach of course). I have a really rough bit behind the garage so I am thinking of getting a hog house there. So sheltered though, I hope the hogs can find it!

Don’t worry about your hog home being too sheltered because hedgehogs do love overgrown and sheltered places – they are sure to find it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog