Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Suitable proportions of fat, protein to underweight hedgehogs?

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Suitable proportions of fat, protein to underweight hedgehogs?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi!
    Hedgehog carers gives different advices about feed to underweight hedgehogs.

The advices are give this kind of food. I am looking for proportions of protein and fat (possibly water) that are good in feed to underweight hedgehogs.

I guess that in order to give a underweight hedgehog enough energy, it is good to give more fat that in normal catfood where it may be one third fat or less and about two thirds protein. Advices that are sometimes given is to give kitten feed or egg yolk. Egg yolk has more fat compared to protein. If it is adviced to have more fat than in catfood, then catfood could be amended with food oil.

If it is important to underweight hedgehogs to apart from water give food that contanins water that is interesting.

I am a biologist, have studied a fair ammount of chemistry and am looking for as much references as possible.

Nic

Hi Jens

It’s good to hear from you again. Glad that you are still looking out for the hedgehogs there.

Sorry no-one has replied sooner – it isn’t my area of knowledge, so I can’t help, but by replying it moves your post back up to the top, so hopefully someone who knows will answer.

Meanwhile you might find some interesting information here: https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/rehabilitators-area/

Good luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog