Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Swimming hedgehogs!

Home Forums Champions’ chat Swimming hedgehogs!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I know hedgehogs are great swimmers but many drown in ponds because they cant get out. Im just about to install a natural pond and wondered if anyone had any examples of escape routes.

Nic

Hi SamP

Here is a link re. ponds, etc. https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/helpful-garden-features/

But I think shallowly sloping beaches are the best thing and if it is a large pond, more than one beach might be handy for the hogs. You might still be able to see on i player the pond made – as part of garden watch on Springwatch. That had a beach at both ends with pebbles. Having plants right up to the edge might also be helpful.

I have some ponds in Tubs, which have vertical sides, so I have raised pond baskets filled with stones/pebbles in them to make ‘beaches’ (partly under the surface of the water but with stones, etc. sloping upwards, some with shortish plants in as well). Also bricks piled up at the side in a sort of staircase to facilitate escape. Amazing what you can fit into a small pond as well as plants!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog