Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Taken up residence – YES!!

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Taken up residence – YES!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I have had a hog house ready for a couple of years now and, as I change the hay regularly – today I was surprised to find lots of leaves on top of the hay in the house and, to my surprise, there he/she was. I just covered him up again and left him. Have put water down and some dried turkey high protein cat food and will see if it has gone in the morning.

I hope I have done the right thing??

So happy!!!!

Houses, food and water are definitely the Right Things! It can take a while before a new housing development is taken up by a hedgehog since they’re immensely fussy buyers but you can be sure that it’s a desirable property if one moves in.

The one thing I’d say is try and resist the temptation to look inside since it may put them off using it. Later in the year any disturbance like that can cause a mum to abandon her sprogs. You can tell if it’s in use by placing a twig or bits of hay across the entrance and see if they get moved.

Congrats on your new tenant!

A hedgehog put a smile on my face yesterday. I happen to look in a feeding station hat had bedding in it from last Autumn, but was never used for hibernating. It was empty, all the bedding was gone, all that was left was dust.

Did get me thinking of where it could have been taken to. I looked into a lodge that was nine feet or less away, built into the dry stone wall. This is a proper hibernating lodge the type with the rounded roof. Has not been used for years, for hibernating. And lo and behold, all the material was in there, including litter that they manage to pick up. And the hedgehog had taken up residence. They can get a bit fussy I suppose. But that is good as I can return the box to a feeding station now, once I give it a clean.

Willpar.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog