Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Temporary Hibernation

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Temporary Hibernation

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Avatar photoNic.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

My mum and I picked up 3 large males to release in our 2 gardens yesterday from a rescue centre that had overwintered them. They’re a good size and we were advised to block them in our Hoghouses until this evening with food & water so they could acclimatise which we both did. I took one, Mum took two. I unblocked the house at about 6:45pm and put fresh food and water out. The food and water I had put in yesterday hadn’t really been touched. I checked the Hedgehog and when I gently touched him he ‘bristled’. I have just been out to check to see if he has been out but no sign he has moved. Could he be in temporary hibernation whilst he acclimatises? My mum’s two have left the house tonight but then they were in together? Should I be worried about the one I have still being in the house gone 10pm?

Nic

Hi Morwenna

I wouldn’t be too worried about him not being out by 10 p.m. Whenever I have had overwintered hogs back, I have sat and waited for them to make an appearance until after 12, and they still haven’t been out. By the next morning they have been gone. They haven’t returned to the boxes they were released in (cardboard boxes) even though they were left there for about a week. They did come back for food, though. So they won’t necessarily return to your hog boxes. I would expect him to have been out later, during the night. Do you know whether he has?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog