Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Terracycle and fund raising for BHPS

Home Forums Champions’ chat Terracycle and fund raising for BHPS

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hi
    I’ve signed up to Terracycle to collect crisp bags and Pringle tubes, so I can send them back for recycling, hopefully raising funds for BHPS too. I literally need hundreds of bags to make any money, so have advertised on all the local Facebook pages I could find, and a local cafe has allowed me to put a collection box in there. There has been a lot of interest, and my collection is gradually growing! If there are any BHPS supporters in Essex (Basildon/Wickford/Billericay area) that would like to save the above items for me that would be fantastic. I am on a mission to stop as many of these going into landfill, as well as making money for a good cause. Thanks

That’s good to hear! I started this scheme at work last month, I already have two big bin bags full! I didn’t realise I could raise funds for the BHPS through it. Excellent news! Good idea as well advertising on Facebook. Are you asking people to collect them and drop them off to your home address?

Hi, they are listed as a charity on the Terracycle site, I’ve added them as my chosen charity on my account. I post to local Facebook groups, plus I have a collection box in a cafe, with two more potentially signing up, and a local Yoga group has a collection box. I’ve had people drop off at my home address too. I’m not sure about 400 bags = 2kg though (the minimum to get points), as I have around that amount but it only comes to 1 kg! I’ve queried this with Terracycle as I was so excited to send of my first boxload, but it looks like I need to keep going! Happy collecting,!

Thanks huffhog 🙂 I have just logged in and selected them as my chosen charity too 🙂

I read that 434 bags make up 2kg, I really need to box mine up soon as they are taking over our stationery cupboard at work!

I might do a count up tomorrow to see how many I have.

Take care before you send off 400, as when I weighed 400 bags, it came to just over 1kg, not 2kg. 10 normal size walkers bags come to 22 g, so we’ll need at least 800 to make 2 kg. Terracycles Facebook page has comments around this too. I’ll update here once I hear back, but I think it is going to take a heap of bags to raise £2!

Hi huffhog,
    I finally did a count of crisp packets and have well over 1000! I can’t believe how many crisp packets are being collected.
    I have hit a few issues though and have had to put up another poster with some crisp recycling guidelines….
    Crisp packets with crisp crumbs, other wrappers inside, cling film with leftover food inside (nice) and one bag with chewing gum! Also someone keeps tying their bags up like a little ribbon and putting that in. And others are just treating the boxes as a normal bin….that said some people look like they are bringing in packets from home as well so that’s good news.
    However I went down earlier to collect them again and found a nescafe single use coffee wrapper in one of the crisp recycling boxes and three crisp packets in the normal bin! How hard can it be!?

Where in Wickford are they collecting these crisp packets now please

Hi
    I think you should be able locate a map on the Terracycle website.

Hi, bumping this as this keeps crisp bags out of landfill and raises money for the BHPS. If anyone wants to send me their crisp packets, I will gladly accept! So far I’ve saved about 3000 from landfill and have raised about £15.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog