Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

The ‘C’ Word!

Home Forums Champions’ chat The ‘C’ Word!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Sorry folks to say ‘Christmas’ so early but thought this may be of interest (possibly help to those looking for inspiration, doing similar) in our hedgehog community.
    I will be doing a tree again for the local Christmas tree festival. This year my theme will be ‘hedgehogs’. Aiming for a box lined with leaves etc sheltering a resin hibernating hog; a natural tree branch above hung with salt dough hedgehog shapes, a crowning hedgepig at the pinnacle. There will be an A4 frame with info on our declining population and how we can best help and care for them.
    Lots more detail but I hope it will amuse and educate. Hopefully I will post photos of the tree in situ late November.
    Hopefully it will be another way for people to appreciate and cherish this very special creature.

Nic

Hi Celeste

Love that idea! Sounds a great way to help spread the word – and very imaginative too. Good luck with the construction. I hope it all turns out well. I look forward to seeing the photos.

Hi Celeste, you’re not the first person I’ve heard mention ‘christmas’ and it is coming up quicker than we’d like to think. Your tree idea sounds wonderful.

Thank you both. Aiming to have some ‘help yourself’ chocs and little wooden keyrings with Hedgehog Street/British Hedgehog Society website address as giveaways. Everyone loves a freebie! ๐Ÿ™‚

Just been to set up the tree for the festival this weekend (I have uploaded some photos in the gallery)
    Some artistic licence involved – I don’t believe hedgehogs actually hibernate in copper coloured tinsel??? ๐Ÿ™‚ The rules state the tree had to be artificial with a festive feel (so no natural branches, leaves as I had originally planned.)
    The picture frame contains easily assimilated info to inform and educate re: our spiny friends. The hollow log contains ‘please help yourself’ chocolate coins and wooden keyrings with a hedgie picture and the website address to this our ‘hedgehogstreet’
    We are hoping for lots of visitors over the weekend, so I do hope my little tree helps spread the message.
    PS. For the pedantic amongst you, I realise the resin hibernating hog is actually an African pygmy NOT European, but it was the best I could find ๐Ÿ™

Well, the close of the weekend Christmas tree festival this weekend.
    There have many visitors, and the little hedgehog tree was exceedingly well received. I have had lots of conversations with lots of people! Children especially loved the little hibernating hog partially hidden in the wooden box. (I posted photos three days ago; know they take a while to upload but hope they appear soon so you can see what I am describing.)
    So much interest generated and a fun way to engage people’s attention. It was gratifying too, that nearly all the keyrings I did with the link to this site have been taken.
    Let’s hope we see lots more hedgehog champions (and more importantly our native hedgehogs and their habitats being tended) soon

Nic

Hi Celeste

It sounds brilliant! I was waiting to see the pics, but still don’t think they’re there yet. But it sounds as if it was really worthwhile and great that it was so well received. I’ll keep looking out for the pics.

Nic

Hi Celeste

The pics are there, at last! Brilliant! Love your tree and the hibernating hog. Great tree decorations, too.

Thank you! It was fun and gratifying to encounter so much interest from people.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog