Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

THE FIGHTING HAS STARTED

Home Forums Hedgehog tales THE FIGHTING HAS STARTED

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

After our 2 hibernating hoglet siblings emerged, in March and April respectively, we watched each evening as they peacefully ate and shared the garden together with only one brief appearance of a third hog. Last week we were attending our local Theatre week for 6 nights running so we were only able to watch around midnight. (No cameras). We saw only “our” one or two hogs feeding quietly each time and went to bed pleased that all was calm and well…………… On our first “proper” watch last night we were taken aback to watch 4 hogs misbehaving on our patio for over 2 hours non-stop between 9 and 11pm. What had we been missing?!
    One big hog biffed both the other 2 males down the patio steps several times then proceeded to court our little female Hetty while she was feeding (who wasn’t having any of it). It was like a farce with hogs running into the bushes and re-appearing minutes later from somewhere else – we couldn’t tear ourselves away for a minute!
    I’m always amazed that the “victims” never seem to run away and hang around for more biffing before eventually escaping. To our relief, they were all OK after their ordeal. No wonder it was quiet at midnight. They must have been exhausted. Needless to say, they still managed to eat all the food between bouts of fighting! We can’t wait for tonight!

Nic

Hi Marion

When there are several hogs rolled up here, I say to them – unroll quick and escape, whilst he’s not looking – because I know that the ‘Boss Hog’ will be back and biff them again if he notices. But they never seem to. But once he disappears they seem to unroll and just carry on as if nothing had happened. Once I had one male who had several other males rolled up and he was trying to court 2 different females at the same time! He must have used up an awful lot of energy running from one to another. Not sure the females were very impressed, though.

I always think it’s a bit like a play with enter stage left exit stage right etc. Always entertaining.

Thanks for your tale Marion – it made me chuckle.
    We love watching them too when we get chance – good on summer evenings to sit quietly on the patio and await them appearing one at a time for food and frolics- they don’t seem to notice if you sit quiet and still, but its difficult not to make any noise when the biffing and chasing starts!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog