Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

The Hedgehogs are back with friends !!

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings The Hedgehogs are back with friends !!

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoNic.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Great to see that we had 4 Hedgehogs the other evening. I only counted 3 last night but regular visitors each evening due to the food I put out for them. Ordinarily we used to get 2.

I have ended up having to put some of the food into the Hedgehog house as the cats are visiting and unfortunately I found a dead Blackbird fledgling on Tuesday morning.

If anyone has any recommendations on cat deterrents I would appreciate it as fed up with having to keep chasing them away !.

Nic

Hi Palves101

Great news that the hog population there has increased.

If you have a hog box with an internal passage, you could try reducing the height – especially where/if there is a part of it where the animal is required to do a U turn – by using bricks. The hogs being quite short seem able to negotiate such an arrangement, but the cats, seem unable to turn when they have had to flatten down to get through the gap over the bricks.

You could also try putting an obstacle either side of the entrance so that the cats don’t have the option of entering at an angle (for instance if they have to turn immediately right or left after going through the doorway).

Hopefully if the cats know they aren’t going to get any food, they won’t bother to visit.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog